The Regimental Museum of The Royal Welsh, Brecon

Opened in 1935 and formerly known as the South Wales Borderers Museum, this is recognised as one of finest regimental museums in Britain. 

The museum charts the history of the Royal Regiment of Wales, founded in 1689 as the 23rd and 24th Regiments of Foot and subsequently re-named the South Wales Borderers, Welch Regiment and Monmouthshire Regiment. It includes displays relating to the many campaigns they were involved in such as the Zulu War.

Visiting The Regimental Museum

The museum is open all year except the first three weeks of January. Admission charges apply.

How to get there

The Museum is on The Watton (B4601) next to the main army barracks in Brecon.

OS grid reference

Explorer Map OL12 or Landranger Map 160 - SO 049 283

Opening times

Mon–Fri 10am–5pm, Sat (Apr–Sep) 10am–4pm, bank holidays (Apr–Sep) 10am–4pm


The Barracks, Watton, Brecon LD3 7EB, tel 01874 613310,


Street parking nearby


The closest toilets, including disabled access toilets are in the town centre car park


The access to the museum is level