St Mary's Church, Ystradfellte
In the beautiful Mellte Valley, surrounded by heather-covered moors and rich green farmland, is the historic parish church of St Mary, Ystradfellte.
Much of the present church was constructed by Cistercian monks at the end of the 12th century. The plain Norman chancel is of simple masonry and is typical of early Cistercian churches.
A rood screen was added during the 15th century, but unfortunately this was destroyed by Cromwellians in 1660.
All that remains today are the two doors beside the pulpit through which access was gained to the balcony.
The church is open to visitors.Image © Robert Davies.